leftround   rightround
logo   Power House
spacer

CSHL 

Library & Archives

Buildings Timeline
spacer
spacer


1913 First Facilities Support Building

The Power House was built in 1913 during the construction of the Animal House, now McClintock Laboratory. The purpose of the building was to provide facilities support to the structures of the Station for Experimental Evolution which included the Main Building (Carnegie Library), aviaries and green houses in addition to the future Animal House. It was set into the hill on the lower roadway facing the Harbor just north of the Animal House and was constructed of concrete and hollow tile with a stucco exterior. Serving as a central heating plant it housed a boiler room, coal bunker, electric generator and circulating pumps as well as a forge shop and carpenter shop.

spacer

Power House
Gallery

1913Power
House
1950Storm
1970First
Renovation
2006Major
Conversion
spacer

2006 CSHL Library and Archives 1 Bungtown Rd. Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
Library Information 516-367-6872
spacer
spacer